Thursday, April 28, 2011

my name is jamie and i want to be an orthorexic

I would consider myself a healthy eater.
Or at least I always WAS- what has happened to me? Ever since my little girl graced us with her presence on Easter of LAST year, I have been falling off the wagon repeatedly. I know better than to eat some of the crap that I do and I really want to stay on the right path but more and more I see myself clinging precariously to the healthy wagon train as it leaves for the trip west. Please don't leave me wagon train!!
I just read that something called "orthorexia" may be considered a real psychological condition soon- it is basically an obsession with healthy eating- where do I sign up?

(note: i am downplaying the severity and realize there is much more to it. not poking fun of it either, just myself. but hey why am i apologizing, this is my blog? i need a self-help group. and now i am having a full converation with myself :/)

Back to the eating thing:
Maybe it is her fault, born on Easter after all- one of the three mornings of the year that it is okay to eat candy for breakfast...
Maybe it is my son's fault because he keeps me jumping so I can't sit down to eat a salad for lunch...
Nope- all my fault.

It was so much easier to take care of me when it was just me!
understatement of the century.

I grab and stuff random morsels into my mouth all day and I crave sugary evil! But I am determined to crawl back onto that wagon.
At least I make them eat healthy- I buy quality local and often organic. I cook from scratch to avoid preservatives and artificial dyes. I grimace at white pasta and white rice and white bread. But somehow today I found myself feeding tiny little A bites of M&Ms to keep her pacified while I decimated the bowl of Easter candy..... where is that self-help group?!

5 comments:

Chubskulit Rose said...

Hello there, hopping by and following. I would be grateful if you follow me back at Obstacles & Glories, thanks!

parentwin said...

Nice to meet you! I'm here from SSS and I can't wait to check out more of your blog (tomorrow, though. Tonight, it's time for bed!)

I'm following and hope to see you over at Tales of an Unlikely Mother, too!

http://parentwin.blogspot.com

Olivia said...

I am so right there with you! I used to be able to eat like I wanted and never show it, but that time is past and I must get a handle on the sweets! (said as I wolf down a generous slice of chocolate lava cake!)
I'm a new follower from the Saturday Stalker linkup.
suchakingdom.blogspot.com

Jo said...

oooo chocolate lava cake! thanks olivia ;) i'll be by to check out your blog shortly

judejo said...

well, dr. oz said yesterday that my old body is burning 200 calories less each day than it did before i was 40 so just enjoy those extra calories while you can! You look beautiful...you get rid of a lot of the guilt when you're a grandma, but we still remember those days!