Saturday, April 30, 2011

Things I Learned In A Restroom Stall- Part 1

I am continously amazed at how swiftly a carefree and enjoyable day out with the kiddos can turn miserable. Seriously within seconds.

Today I was running a few errands alone with N and A. We were happy and smiling and productive and then we just weren't. A was ready for a nap and N 'suddenly' had to go number 2 (even though we had JUST been to the bathroom 5 minutes before) and I felt like handing them off to a stranger and fleeing in the car.

Am I the only mom that finds the whole "two kids inside a public restroom stall thing" absolutely the worst 6 cubic feet in the universe?!?! It is a smothering, squirming, please-don't-touch-that... or-that-or-that punishment. N honestly spent over five minutes on the toilet- I guess he really is becoming a man. Since we were quickly approaching naptime, A struggled against me and whined and cried the entire time. I wanted to poke my eye out but unfortunately, I just couldn't put my baby on a bathroom floor to inflict the damage to myself.

Maybe I am being a little dramatic but this is just an example of one of those moments gone wrong. It did not matter that we had had a good morning or would be leaving the store as soon as N was done, in that 5 minutes I was miserable... and grateful that no other person was in the bathroom to hear me berating my 3 year old for not being an olympic speed pooper.
I guess you could also argue it the other way- you can go form meltdown to giggles again just as fast. I blame their underdeveloped brains but can't use that excuse for myself. At least today I recognized the flip-flop so maybe next time when they go from pleasant to institutional in under 10 seconds I will spare myself the stress, close my eyes and wait for the wave to pass... even if it is in a public bathroom.

6 comments:

RaRa said...

Speaking of bathrooms (though I do share your displeasure in a public stall with a toddler), Cavan has learned that playing the "I have to go to the bathroom" card will result in a) staying up longer, b) staying in a store she likes longer, c) get Mommy's attention if I am otherwise occupied at the moment. And she'll smile, talk, and swing her legs, while not producing anything. As I try to hurry her along, she says "I'm trrrryyyiinnggg!" As if staying up for an extra 10 minutes getting a ring around her butt is an exciting extension of time!

Beautifully Forgiven, Kortney said...

New follower from the Saturday hop! Hope you are having a great weekend!

~Kortney
www.kortneyskrazylife.com

Monika said...

Just browsing and popping in on the blogs participating in the Super Stalker Sunday Friday Edition. I also wanted to let you know that our blog is having it’s first ever giveaway; up to 10 people will be winning adorable Sesame Street socks for their baby or toddler. Check it out ♥ http://www.aias.ca/2011/04/our-first-giveaway-adorable-sesame.html

Monika @ Aias Dot Ca (http://www.aias.ca)

judejo said...

Wow, never thought about that one...You were already 6 and even took your little bro to the bathroom for me sometimes!

Stephanie @ henry happened said...

I can so relate! Taking a child to the potty while holding your other baby is crazy hard! You can't sit them down on the ground (gross) and you can't help with one hand. Arg, it's hard!

-Stephanie
henry  happened

Mama on a Green Mission said...

Thanks so much for linking up to our Super Stalker Sunday hop! Hope to see you again this week! I am following via GFC, if you have a Twitter or a FB for your blog please let me know and I'll follow you there too! :) Have a great day!

April @ Mama on a Green Mission
http://greenmissionmama.blogspot.com