Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Maybe that's why the birds fled the nest.......

I THINK that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the sweet earth's flowing breast;
A tree that looks at God all day, 5
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain. 10
Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

-Joyce Kilmer


Today I mourn my poor fallen birch! I feel I might be unreasonably sad at its toppling but seriously.... I am moping:(
This is THE tree at our first home. I mean, we have others, but this was the cool one- the big shady one- the decorative one. Sometime between 8 am and 10 am this morning, the front half cut loose and tumbled. It must have been in the street because someone just kinda tossed the broken branches back up into our yard. Upon further inspection, we saw that the inside of the tree is mulch- eaten by termites!! It is like a freaking cartoon- monster bugs eating my tree until it falls down.... so that means the bushy beautiful back side had to come down too. Without the front side to counter it, a storm could send it crashing through my house, which I am MORE attached to than the tree.
It was such a pretty thing- white paper birch with the beautiful strips that come off in pieces. I gathered some large ones that I am going to get all artsy on and we will immortalize a part of our first place. It should be pretty neat but I would rather have the tree- and the 100 smacks we paid to drop the "strong" half. ~~~~~Sigh~
But- the day was not without good points too. My husband declared that I shouldn't worry about his virgin attempt with a chainsaw because "it's just like my weed eater and blower". I mean, I am no major yardsman but I don't think it is the same thing at all..... the blower will not blow your leg off no matter how menacing it sounds! My kids also had a great time watching the axe men out side the window. It just looks so empty out there- we need a trip to the tree nursery asap. But maybe first we need to tackle the termite problem. I am envisioning them forming a giant arrow like the cartoons- pointing toward my house. "Come on fellas- they took our tree- we're moving on to the house!"
I need a good exterminator...



No comments: